THE SEVEN STEP PROCESS FOR
ACHIEVING AUTHENTIC HAPPINESS
STEP 1: Define Your Authentic Happiness Outcomes.
- Are you clear about your goals regarding work, love, parenting, play, and purpose?
- Have you broken down your goals into stages that will facilitate change?
- Do know your purpose in life?
STEP 2: Control your negative thinking.
- Do you have negative feelings about your past, present or future?
- How optimistic are you about your chances of achieving your goals?
- Do you know how to reframe your negative thoughts when you become frustrated?
STEP 3: Create external support from other people.
- Do you have a mentor or a coach who is willing to help you?
- Is your significant other giving you all the support you need?
- Do you feel the higher power is helping you reach your goals?
STEP 4: Commit to using your strengths and making positive choices.
- Have you identified your strongest character strengths that will help you be successful?
- Can you stay focused on working toward your goals all on your own?
- Do you have all the knowledge you need in order be prepared for achieving success?
STEP 5: Visualize achieving your outcomes and use positive self-talk.
- Can you see yourself at some time in the future having achieved happiness?
- Do you know how to use affirmations to maintain your motivation?
- Do you see obstacles in your path or the solutions that will overcome them?
STEP 6: Make daily decisions about how to bring happiness into your life.
- Do you have a time every day when you focus on what is important to you?
- Are you frequently responding to urgent matters and not to what’s most important?
- Do you get distracted and fail to accomplish what you wanted to get done?
STEP 7: Evaluate your progress toward your outcomes.
- Are you able to review your progress without becoming discouraged?
- Do you regularly stop to assess where you are and what your next step should be?
- Can you be your own biggest fan or would you benefit from someone else cheering you on?
To learn more about how you can achieve authentic happiness, click
As a Psychologist with more than 35 years of experience at helping people become happier in their
lives, I am tremendously excited about the terrific results I’m seeing my coaching clients obtain
using this latest research on Achieving Authentic Happiness TM.
My purpose is to empower people to be able to bring themselves a feeling of deep satisfaction within
themselves, in their work, love, and parenting. In addition, I believe people benefit from finding a
higher purpose in their lives as well as developing a deeper connection to the higher power. I
encourage you to read the book Authentic Happiness in addition to exploring the information contained
on this website. If you want more information on how to apply what you are learning to your situation,
click on the Contact button and tell me about how you would like
to change your life.
Here is a typical case of how someone used this information to improve their life:
Susan was a very accomplished human resource professional with a multinational manufacturing
company. In her search for more fulfillment in her life, she got married and moved to a new state
in order to start a family and her own business. But she found that the demands and distractions
of establishing a new life could be a major obstacle as she was trying to build her new business.
Together we worked on helping her develop a clear picture of the balanced lifestyle she wanted to
create in order to achieve a life that would bring her the highest level of happiness. (More on the
four levels of happiness later.) Then we got down to the details of just what she could do each week
to take the necessary steps toward creating an incredibly valuable program to reduce violence in the
workplace. And we discussed how she could generate support from her husband and friends.
In addition to making a meaningful contribution to humankind, Susan was able to organize a
business venture that would allow her to have a successful career while spending most of her
time at home with her husband and young children. For Susan learning how to picture a positive
outcome of what a happy life meant to her was the first step in making her dreams come true. Her
weekly coaching sessions with me also helped her to stay focused on actually doing what was important
to achieve her goals.
Here is what Susan had to say about her coaching experience with me:
“After only a few weeks, Tom helped me to redefine and to clarify my professional goals
and have the courage to work toward them. His genuine enthusiasm combined with his professional
expertise facilitated a growth process for me that removed me from feeling professionally unfulfilled
and enabled me to experience my potential.” -Susan H.,LPC, CEAP
on the Contact button and let me know how I can help you.